Thursday, December 24, 2009

Ramen Hide (Kyodo branch)

Ramen Hide (pronounced he-day) is the perfect example of an excellent ramen shop that probably will never garner the recognition it deserves. The competition is too fierce in battleground: Tokyo; and Hide is nested in the small town of Kyodo- which is known for it's salons more than food offerings. This might actually be to Hide's benefit though as it's King-of-the-hill in this quaint town.
I came across Ramen Hide early on in my stay here- as I was walking down Suzuran Dori and noticed a small camera-crew in-front of the store preparing to shoot. I slowed down to see what all the hub-bub was, and afforded a look-in. Instantly I felt acquainted with its 1950's-diner look, and the chef was being interviewed; this was a joint I had to hit up! I've since had two enjoyable meals here and look forward to coming back at least once more before I jet town.
Their Kyushu-style tonkotsu ramen is very approachable, the broth is not very thick- rather it's more on the lite side, and has a great balanced taste. It's not so strong as to scare away those who prefer a traditional taste, but is potent enough to keep veterans coming back for more. The noodles are straight, thin and firm which is a great balance to the soup's consistency. Also notable is their chashu- which is a beautiful pink cut with minimal fat; and their egg while not semi-boiled the way I love- is at least nicely marinated.
On my second visit I was feeling adventurous and ordered a speciality dish- karai (spicy) ramen; I opted to try this in the tuskemen (dipping) style as well. The chef warned me this was hot, but I paid him no attention as I had yet to taste anything in Japan resemble the spices we play around with in the US. To my complete surprise- this shit was hot! I had my Japanese friend try it out just to confirm that this was indeed out of character, the twisted look on her face was all the confirmation I needed.
I think the nori is actually melting from the heat of the peppers!
All-in-all I did enjoy this dish; again the quality of ingredients was excellent with pork chunks as well as ground-up pork settling at the bottom of the thick fiery-red broth. My stomach might disagree with this last statement, but I still claim that I would order this dish again... just not next time ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment