Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Miyama Blonde - by Shiga Kogen

Shiga Kogen - Miyama Blonde - Nagano Prefecture - 7% - 330 ml bottle:
Taste: Citrus, floral and fruity flavors, malt stays in background, medium amount of hoppiness here; crisp, dry finish that is sharp rather than sweet. Body was not light (as is associated with blonds)- more of a medium body, some wheat-like notes and a hint of pepper.
Smell: Lemon is apparent, hops, sour fruity aroma.
Look: Light golden, carbonated, poured with strong head and lace is abundant and holds well, this is in between clear and cloudy.
Verdict: I've always enjoyed a good blonde, in-fact my drinking buddies can attest that I usually go for a Checker Cab when I reach my hop-boiling-point (get it?). Puns aside this is the best blonde I've come across in awhile; and I especially like the uniqueness which Tamamura Honten brings by adding Miyamanishiki (home-made sake rice) into the pot. You see, sake rice is of higher quality than rice used in macro produced beer, and thus is not intended as a cheap substitute to barley, but rather it imparts its own flavors - the quality can be tasted immediately! This saison comes highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment