Thursday, January 7, 2010

Menya Musashi (Shinjuku branch) - Ramen shop

Ask anyone (in Tokyo) to name their top five favorite ramen stops and your bound to get Menya Musashi in at least 95% of those lists; yeah this place is popular! Don't believe me- check out my pics, the line was about 40 minuets long, and this was on an ordinary day in the early evening. But there's reason for this madness- their ramen is tha bomb!
This was a joint that I had been meaning to hit up since I got here, but as I've learned- there's always another ramen shop on the radar and so it takes patience and persaverience to make it to the ones you want. I'm very glad I made it here; Fu-unji had been sitting high on my "best of ramen" list for far too long, it was getting lonely there all alone, but no longer. Menya Musashi, welcome, you just placed a very close 2nd - but ultimately your just a tad too expensive to overtake my reigning champ.
Musashi’s ramen is served in a light, shoyu (soy sauce) based broth and upon placing your order you'll have a choice to have your ramen either kotteri (heavier flavor) or assari (lighter flavor). This depends entirely on your preference and neither is "better" than the other - however I went kotteri-style, which is what is pictured here.
Think your man enough to handle this?!
I can't end this post without a shout-out to their chashu- cut rough and in large chunks the fat was fully intact and in-force! As large as these pieces were they literally melted in your mouth, an amazing sensation here ;-) The egg was half-boiled (nice!)- but for Y1000 I want a whole egg dammit! MM is a tad expensive- but worth every yen.

2 comments:

  1. Woah, how did I not find this blog in the past! Musashi is rad, totally. I like the one in Kichijoji, the menu is a bit experimental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a new blog - thats why! But thanks! And yes no denying the greatness of Musashi..

    ReplyDelete