Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ramen Jiro (Shinjuku branch)

I had one classic High School fight, you know the kind- "meet me at so-and-so @ such-and-such a time" -- I picked this fight for being called a "poser" (at that age you really can't be called anything worse! And yes, I won.) But now I've actually come full-circle, by having gone to Ramen Jiro this late in the game and after having read an endless amount of other people's reviews - I am officially a poser. But you know what, I don't care anymore, and you know what also, I'm f'n glad I went!
If you "claim" to know anything about ramen in Tokyo, well then, you claim you've been to Jiro... successive times and multiple locations. And if your not claiming this... well then let me rap a little and fill you in on what your missing out of. Garlic. Oh I'm sorry, were you expecting something more? Maybe like "this ramen is influenced by French culinary arts... blah blah blah." Nope, this most popular ramen chain has built up its empire of devoted followers based on one taste - garlic, and lots of it!
This is simple stuff to comprehend here and you can pretty much make a decision right now if your gonna love it or hate it (there is no in-between with Jiro). Well, as for me, I'm a huge garlic fan, I use it in almost all my recipes, so let me just say right now that this is the best ramen I have had thus far in my life and I can pretty much state without a second thought that I won't find something more satisfying to me.
This is not fancy or delicatessen in any way; they don't make their own noodles, there is no balancing act to be found, the joints are for the most part greasy, ingredients aren't the freshest out there -- but they make an intensely garlic flavored ramen; and I can't ask for anything else. Ya'wanna'fight'about'it!?

No comments:

Post a Comment