Monday, January 25, 2010

Shiga Kogen - Porter

Shiga Kogen - Porter - Nagano Prefecture - 5.5% - 330 ml bottle:
Taste: Medium-bodied and somewhat dry, flavors of nuts, watered-down coffee, cocoa-powder and a subtle smokiness. Nice lively mouthfeel which leans a tad more hoppy than creamy.
Smell: Deep aroma of roasted malts, mochaccino, traces of smoke and molasses.
Look: Pours out in a dark brown colour with a small beige head.
Verdict: While a good porter for sure- and probably tied with the best I've had here- this is shy of being an excellent beer. Porters to me are a very tricky beer, I like them to be a full-medium bodied experience and complex - which this light/medium bodied beer just misses out on being. Recommended none-the-less.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there - I found this post by seaching "Shiga Kogen Porter" after trying in the escalator records cafe in Tokyo last night.

    I wonder if you can tell me where you managed to find it bottled, or if you know of somewhere in Tokyo that sells it bottled. I've never seen it before, even in my local Isatan which has an impressive selection of local and worldwide beers.


    Thanks a lot,

    Paul

    ReplyDelete