Friday, January 15, 2010

Ivan Ramen - Ramen Shop

99.9% of my ramen knowledge was learnt in the past two-plus months; yes I had had it before, but aside from the fact that I knew I loved it, I actually knew nothing about it. So on this particular trip to Tokyo I took it upon myself to gain some insight on this meal-in-a-bowl. Talking about it proved to be one good source of information, as I have learned many times over- when you express your interest in something Japanese, most locals will go out of their way to help you in any way they can. This is how I originally learned about Ivan Raman - from a friend who wanted me to know about a hot noodle joint that was operating out of my hood - Setagaya-ku!
This picture speaks volumes. For real. This guy posing above is doing something that is huge; I'm not talking about his ramen (it's good) - but rather I'm talking about changing-the-game. Ramen in many ways defines what Tokyo is; and in a land where ramen chefs are national celebrities, opening up a successful shop has a much deeper impact than just filling up some bellies. It's refreshing to see and experience something different, something out-of-place, and something of good enough quality that it changes people's long standing views and opinions. This is what Ivan is doing.
But ultimately he's making ramen and goodies to compliment it. Take his rice side-dishes for example, something that you don't expect to see except for at a select few ramen joints. My friend and I ordered the roasted tomato construction - it was absolutely tasty and fresh! Yes, that's a point that came up time-and-time again, every ingredient was so fresh.
The main course was gratifying as well; from studying the menu while waiting in line I had decided on the salt-ramen with extra chashu. The presentation was pleasing, with a unique taller-than-usual bowl and metal soup-spoon taking the place of the common ceramic one. As already stated, the taste was up to par with other great ramen shops of Tokyo -- the home-made noodles were thin and firm, broth was deliciously heavily salted, chashu was tender, menma cut rough, and the negi topping was crisp and (yup) fresh.

I really enjoyed my visit to Ivan Raman; I've learned so much in so little time and with every joint I hit up I gain a little more insight - at Ivan's I learned allot, not just about ramen, but about courtesy, outside points-of-view, and following your dreams. Thanks dude!

1 comment:

  1. Per the Man himself:
    Great website! I really enjoyed reading about all the different beers you've been trying.
    Thanks for the kind words about my shop too! I
    hope you come up with a great plan to realize your beer dreams.
    Stay in touch,
    -Ivan

    ReplyDelete