Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Single Malt Du Soleil Couchant - by Niigata

Niigata - Single Malt Du Soleil Couchant (Belgian Strong Ale) - Niigata Prefecture - 7% - 350 ml bottle:
Taste: Sweet roasted malts, chocolate, sour cherry, raisins, vinous, and also some brandy or cognac character, complex to say the least; full bodied with a dry finish.
Smell: Sweet & sour scents.
Look: An unclear dark red-brown, pouring with a stained head, no lacing.
Verdict: While this started off a little too tangy for me at first, it began to grow on me as I took more sips. Of interesting note is that Niigata recommends aging this beer up to 2 years, stating that after a 6 month period the hops will become more defined, while waiting an additional 6 months more will balance the malts to the hops. Unfortunately for me I drank this beer only a month or so after it was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment